Photography has become a very social pastime with the uprise of digital cameras, the Internet, and photo-sharing websites. Photographers from all around the world are sharing their work, viewing the work of others, and making connections with people they would have otherwise never met. It's an amazing thing how social networking and photography have almost merged into one big culture: Social Photography.
- Write a post on a blog and share your experience with social photography websites. See below for more details and examples.
- Go to the form at the bottom of this page and send me your name, email (kept private), and link to your project entry. If you don’t have your own blog, you can always ask to write a guest post on one of the many photography blogs out there.
- Once I collect the links from the participants I'll publish them on my blog. You can then write another post and link to either all or only your favorite articles by other bloggers.
- Limit one article per author for this particular project. You are more than welcome to visit other participating blogs hosting projects dedicated to other social media sites and take part in those projects (I'll explain more below).
DEADLINE: MARCH 22, 2008
This project is actually part of a larger project being termed “The Social Media Mega Project“. InspirationBit is hosting the mega-project, and I'm hosting a small portion of this project on photography related websites. Several other bloggers are hosting similar mini-projects to fill the gaps in the mega-project. These projects span the following topics:
- Digg, Reddit. Host: Vivien from Inspiration Bit
- del.icio.us. Host: Aaron Stroud from On Financial Success
- Facebook. Host: Ina from Inspiring Wear
- Anything photography related. Host: Brian Auer from Epic Edits
- Twitter, LinkedIn. Host: Isabella Mori from Change Therapy and Alphablogs
- StumbleUpon, YouTube, MySpace. Host: Karen Zara from a1-fan-fun
- Sphinn. Host Simonne from All Tips And Tricks
- Second Life. Host Dandellion from Metaverse
- Mixx, Propeller, Squidoo. Host: Pearl from Fresh Perspectives
- Sk*rt, Blogging Zoom, Bvibes. Host: JHS from Colloquium
- Technorati. Host: Monica from Me Like The Interweb
So if you can offer up your experience in any of those social sites listed above, feel free to visit the project pages and participate.
WHAT TO WRITE ABOUT…
As photographers we have a lot of options when it comes to social-based websites. We have the photo-sharing sites like Flickr and Zooomr. We have social media sites like photographyVoter and PictPicture. Then we also have some interactive sites like photophlow. Simply pick your favorite social site and choose a topic to write about that you feel comfortable with.
This topic could be how you integrate this social media site into your blogging, photography, or daily life. You could tell us about your good or bad experiences, how would you compare this social networking site with others, what do you like or don’t like about it, how you benefit from becoming a frequent user of this site, what secrets have you learned about it, and/or what tips or warnings would you like to inform others about. It can really be anything related to that site — just share what you know.
As a couple of examples right here from the archives of Epic Edits, Martin has already written about his Top 10 Flickr Hacks, and I've written about Flickr Etiquette. I'll actually be following up soon with a new article on photophlow, how to use it, what it can be used for, and the benefits of using it.
So start thinking about those social pholography sites that you use, and put together your thoughts on how you can share your experience with other photographers.
PROJECT ENTRY FORM
Sorry folks, the deadline for project submissions is over. Stay tuned for the project results on the 24th.