This photo was taken using the method I've outlined in my post titled Indoor Macro Photography Project for Rainy Days. It's a miniature daffodil I took from my backyard and brought inside to photograph using my macro lens.
I didn't do any major editing with this one, just some color correction and curves adjustments — 4 curves adjustments to be exact. One for an initial adjustment, one for the highlights, one for the shadows, and one for a final adjustment. The two curves adjustments were coupled with layer masks and blacked out to start. Then I “painted” in the extra highlights and shadows by brushing onto the masks — kind of like a non-destructive dodging and burning, except I could go back and modify the intensity by editing the curves adjustment layer. The final step was a slight sharpening using the LAB method I outlined in my post titled Photo Sharpening Techniques.
Photo by Brian Auer
04/01/07 Flemington, NJ
Miniature Daffodil on Blue
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D
Sigma MACRO 105mm f/2.8 EX DG
158mm equiv * f/32 * 15s * ISO100